Seek Him First: Your identity is not defined by what you do. Matthew 6:33


 For years, baseball was more than something I did—it became my identity.When an injury ended the future I had imagined, I felt broken, uncertain, and alone. Then I remembered the verse someone had planted in my heart years earlier:

“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness…” —Matthew 6:33

God taught me that my worth was never determined by my accomplishments. Read how a lost baseball dream helped me discover my identity, purpose, and peace in Christ.

Seek Him First: The Verse That Changed My Life

I grew up on the ball field. Whether I was playing in my own game or watching my mom play softball, I was surrounded by the feel of the dirt, the smell of freshly cut grass, and the familiar sounds of baseball.

When I was playing, nothing else mattered. I felt at peace with my teammates and energized by the roar of our parents’ approval. I experienced success early, which motivated me to practice even harder. Like many young boys, I dreamed of playing in the major leagues and pitching on the biggest stage.

Over time, that dream became more than a goal—it became my identity.

Baseball was my life. I saw school primarily as a means to reach the next level. For most of my school years, everything appeared to be going according to plan. I was successful, confident, and convinced baseball would lead me toward the life I wanted.

Then, during my sophomore year, I met a woman named Kelly.

Kelly worked with Campus Life Youth for Christ. She came to my school to invite students to an off-campus gathering where teenagers could connect and learn what it meant to have a personal relationship with God.

She was electric. Her energy and loving spirit drew me in like a moth to a flame. She was full of life, unafraid to talk about God, and genuinely interested in us. She made us feel seen.

The Campus Life gatherings were held in a small building at a local church, but their impact was enormous. Hundreds of teenagers found a community that helped us navigate the challenges of adolescence. As I became more involved, I discovered a place where people valued me—not because of how well I performed, but because of who I was. It was a community built on love rather than accomplishment.

My junior year was my best year in baseball. People were noticing my accomplishments, and I was excited about the future. Looking back, however, I can see that the attention was feeding my need to be seen and validating my worth. Every success reassured me that I mattered, but the reassurance never lasted. I always needed another win, another strong performance, or someone else’s approval.

Kelly’s faith and encouragement began challenging my belief that baseball could fill the hole in my heart.

During a conversation about my life and hopes for a successful baseball career, she shared a verse that would reshape my life:

“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”
—Matthew 6:33

Kelly was only in my life for a short time, but that conversation planted a seed that continued to grow.

As you have probably realized, I never made it to the major leagues.

During my senior year, my arm gave out, and I could no longer throw the way I once could. Suddenly, the dream I had pursued with all my heart was slipping away. My confidence was shaken because baseball was not simply something I did—it had become who I believed I was.

Have you ever had a dream taken away? What did you do when the future you imagined was no longer possible?

I was broken and unsure of what would come next. My dream was gone, my community was changing, and for the first time, I had no plan. I felt alone and isolated.

Then I remembered Matthew 6:33.

I began seeking God—not merely for what He could do for me, but for what He wanted to do within me. In my pain, He became my refuge. He showed me that my identity was not rooted in my accomplishments, performance, or the approval of others. My identity was found in Him.

Seeking Christ changed how I saw the world. I began to understand that life was not primarily about what I could get from the world, but what I could give to the world through Jesus.

That does not mean I became a saint overnight. Life has not been perfect, and I have made plenty of mistakes. Yet God has remained faithful. Whenever I seek Him first, I am reminded that I am loved, known, and never forgotten. He grounds me in my purpose and restores my peace.

The seed Kelly planted continues to grow. God has given me the privilege of walking alongside people during some of their darkest moments. In the same way Kelly saw me and offered me hope, I now have the opportunity to do that for others through The Hub Wellness Center.

If you have lost a dream, questioned your purpose, or built your identity around something that could not sustain you, please know that you are not alone.

Your worth is not determined by your accomplishments, and your identity is not defined by what you do. God sees you, knows you, and has not forgotten you.

Seek first His kingdom. Allow Him to meet you in your brokenness, reshape your identity, and restore your peace.

If disappointment, loss, or questions about your identity are leaving you feeling stuck, The Hub Wellness Center offers compassionate counseling in Gastonia, North Carolina, with faith-based support available upon request.

Seek Him. You are not alone.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing. Campus Life really touched my heart as a teen as well, that and Godly friends. I was blessed to have both. I pray that every teen can find a place like that and good strong Godly roll models.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment